What is Group Training?
Group Training is an employment and training arrangement whereby an organisation employs apprentices under a Training Contract and places them with Host Employers. The Group Training Organisation (GTO) undertakes the employer responsibilities for the apprentice or trainees’ employment and training.
What is a host employer?
Host employers are businesses of any size, that provide the on-the-job training and experience for an apprentice or trainee.
What are the Host Employers responsibilities?
- Provide work experience to the apprentice/trainee relevant to the apprenticeship/traineeship.
- Check and sign timesheets for hours worked
- Ensure that the apprentice/trainee attends off-the-job training
- Allow GTO access to apprentice/trainee for contact visits to discuss progress
- Pay GTO invoice for apprentice/trainee wages, superannuation and other on-costs and other services
What are some of the benefits of using a Group Training Organisation?
- The GTO takes on the responsibility of employing the staff member including wages, superannuation, workers compensation, annual leave etc.
- Recruitment assistance is provided. GTOs will source an apprentice or trainee based on your individual company’s requirements.
- The GTO will monitor the apprentice or trainees progress and work with them to help them complete their training successfully.
What are the costs?
With Group Training, the prices are inclusive of all costs. This often includes wages, superannuation, uniforms and PPE, training and other additional costs.
The price can vary for each apprentice/trainee depending on the wage award the apprentice/trainee would be employed under and the services the GTO offers. Please speak to the GTOs directly for costs.
What happens if I no longer need an apprentice?
If the apprentice or trainee is no longer required, the GTO will find the apprentice or trainee a new host employer.
How many GTOs are in WA?
There are currently 26 registered GTO’s operating in Western Australia.
Find out more information on Group Training Organisations.